AVALON Corporate Business Development Europe
At AVALON, we are with business, mind, soul and full heart at home in Europe. European culture is the root of Western civilisation, which traces its lineage back to ancient Greece and ancient Rome. The business potential is huge and the quality of life is unparalleled. It ultimately is the right place to be for business, work, and life.
The continent of Europe is divided into 50 sovereign states, of which Russia is the largest and most populous, and 6 out of them are with limited recognition.
The total population is about 741 million people (ca. 11% of the world population) as of 2019.
As a continent, the economy of Europe is currently the largest on Earth.
The European Union (EU) as a political entity composed of now (i.e. after Brexit without the UK) 27 European states, comprises the largest single economic area in the world. Its combined gross domestic product (GDP) was US $19.9 trillion in 2019.
The EU has shipped US $6.296 trillion worth of goods around the globe in 2019. Thus, the EU is the world’s most powerful trade partner which accounts for more than one-third of globally exported goods.
Europe has about 225 indigenous languages, mostly falling within three Indo-European language groups: the Romance languages, derived from the Latin of the Roman Empire; the Germanic languages, whose ancestor language came from southern Scandinavia; and the Slavic languages.
Multilingualism and the protection of regional and minority languages are recognised political goals in Europe today.
By these quick facts, the relevance of the major European languages that AVALON serves and the business potential in Europe and the European Union become already clear.
If at this point you probably wish to find out a bit more first of who we are, what we do, what shapes us, and our philosophy, you may check out this website.
In a nutshell, we believe it is critical to our own success in business to build loyal, long-term relationships, sustained by personal honesty and integrity. Our philosophy is simple: We believe in what we are doing, and we believe in doing it right, the idea of quality being the cornerstone of our concept.
In our understanding, successful companies do not just happen automatically, they are rather managed and run effectively, embracing the principles of quality and client care.
For a quick overview, you may also look up or download our Avalon Linguistic – company presentation 2020, which you can find as a video on our YouTube channel in addition.
The role in a snapshot:
The new Business Development Manager will be responsible for targeting businesses, companies, organisations, and individuals all over the continent and across all industry sectors with the aim of promoting, marketing, and selling our comprehensive professional language services. This means helping grow the business by identifying new opportunities, researching leads, establishing relationships with potential clients, and arranging sales appointments.
The work will, with our support, often reach across all areas of the business with strategic planning and positioning in the appropriate markets, enhancing the operation and the position of the business, generating revenue, and improving profitability.
To confirm, this is a 100% remote position. You will be able to work from home or from anywhere else you wish.
More on this subject you can read in our Blog article ‘Work in the digital age: Remote is the future normal‘.
Head of Corporate Business Development Job Responsibilities:
- Discover and systematically explore business opportunities,
namely researching and identifying new opportunities – including new markets, growth areas, customers/clients, partnerships, trends, and services – or new ways of reaching existing markets in the countries of Europe
- Examine potentials and risks for business opportunities
- Screen potential business deals by analysing market strategies, deal requirements, and financials
- Develop the business sales and marketing strategy for your region
- Carry out sales forecasts and analysis and present your findings to head office
- Help to plan sales campaigns
- Create a sales pipeline
- Build market position by locating, developing, defining, and closing business relationships
- Seek out the appropriate contact in an organisation
- Generate leads and cold-call prospective clients
- Meet with clients, mainly online or over the phone
- Foster and develop relationships with clients
- Understand the needs of your clients and be able to respond effectively with a plan of how to meet these
- Negotiate pricing with clients
- Close new business deals by coordinating requirements; develop and negotiate contracts; integrate contract requirements with business operations
- Think strategically – seeing the bigger picture and setting aims and objectives in order to develop and improve the business
- Work strategically – carrying out necessary planning in order to implement operational changes
- Develop a good understanding of the AVALON services and service products, and be able to advise others about them
- Keep abreast of trends and changes in the business world, especially in the language services sector
- Explore opportunities to add value to job accomplishments
- Protect AVALON’s value by keeping information confidential
- Enhance AVALON’s reputation by acquiring ownership for new and different requests
- Remuneration is for the initial 3 months commission-based at a straight 30% of project revenue generated by your work.
- Upon successful completion of these first three months, we will hold a first review with you and offer you
• a permanent position on a sales compensation plan, with:
• a decent monthly base salary
• plus an attractive commission structure
• plus a rewarding bonus system.
As a realistic forecast, your monthly On-Target Earnings (OTE) should not be below €5,000 after your initial 3-month period.
The commission amount will always stay uncapped, so there is definitely no limit to your earning potential from the business that you develop and the deals you sell.
We will support you in all possible ways on the route to job satisfaction, adequate income, and career development.
An ongoing quarterly review schedule should ensure that we stay aligned and will be successful together.
Qualifications / Skills:
- Tenacity and drive to seek new business and meet or exceed targets
- Initiative and the confidence to start things from scratch
- Creative skills – whether it is seeing new ways existing opportunities could be developed, or finding completely new routes to market, creative thinking is essential for the role
- Motivation for sales
- Prospecting skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills – needed for communicating with a range of people, both internally and externally
- Excellent telephone manner for making initial contact and for ongoing communication with customers and business associates
- Interpersonal skills for building and developing relationships with clients
- Negotiating and closing skills
- Presentation skills
- Basic IT skills, namely MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook); Google Drive; Email Clients; Skype; Social Media
- Analytical and decision-making skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritise your workload
- Organisational skills, particularly for project and territory management
- Market knowledge
- Teamworking skills and a collaborative approach to work
- Ability to motivate yourself and set your own goals
- Language skills: proficiency in English; skills in any further European languages are an advantage
Education and Experience Requirements:
- In terms of education, you will need a high school diploma or equivalent.
A college degree is not absolutely essential for this role, while it could be rather beneficial, especially in a relevant subject such as business studies, economics, marketing, or finance.
- You should have a minimum of 3 years of sales experience, preferably in a B2B environment.
Some experience in a previous managerial role is desirable.
AVALON Linguistic is an equal opportunities employer, and we don’t discriminate against anybody on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race.
… and finally
We look forward to hearing from you with a brief cover letter and your CV.
Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill in your details below.